Monday, May 7, 2012

Construction Begins!

A quick little entry to show you what I accomplished yesterday.  It took 3 trips to Lowe's but I am very happy with the end result.  The frame for the left half (pictured below) is together and extremely sturdy, and the pieces for the right half have all been cut, sanded, and tack-clothed, and are ready to be assembled.  Then all I have to do is get the roof pieces and I'm ready to start the good part!  The left half measures 33" wide, 24" deep, and 39" at it the peak of the gable.  The right half will be a mirror image.  The reason for the extra trips to Lowe's is that not all wood is created equal. I took the cheap way out and bought regular plywood, got it home and made all the cuts and discovered that it was warped, cracked, and a wasted pile of crap.  So I went back to Lowe's and upgraded to white birch which was more expensive but worth it in the end.  The plain plywood total was $24, the white birch total was a hefty  $108 but, really, when it comes to Evangeline, what's an extra $84 really?

2 comments:

  1. Anne-Sophie (Nano)May 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

    It will be very great Derek!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek, I truly am enjoying your creative process. You are truly a DEDICATED EG fan...actually beyond dedicated! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete