Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Building the Chimney

A great house like Barkley Manor has to have at least one chimney, probably more like seven, but let's keep this manageable.  Afterall, I am only building a cross-section of a wing of the attic, not the entire thing.  I need to get the chimney in place first so that I can add in the floor/wall/ceiling boards around it and have it look natural.  Plus, the boards will help hide any rough edges on the chimney.  I found a product called "Project Bricks" at Michael's.  They are foam bricks pre-painted to look like real bricks.  $14.99 for a huge box of them so bring that 40% off coupon!  They are perfect Evangeline-scale bricks;  go figure.  I have done many tedious things in my day for the sake of a diorama but building an Evangeline-scale chimney out of Evangeline-scale bricks might just take the cake.  I chose to use a hot glue gun on this.  I started by cutting a bunch of bricks in half with a small serrated knife so I could achieve the alternating brick look.  These bricks were quite nice to work with actually.  Then I just started gluing.  I burned myself a dozen times and I had glue gun threads all over the kitchen but after about 4 hours of labor I had built my little chimney of bricks and here's what I ended up with:


Here's a shot from a distance:


keep in mind that when I add the wall and ceiling boards you won't be able to see the rough edges.  They will magically make the edges disappear just as they would on a real chimney passing through an attic.

Here's the products used:


3 comments:

  1. Well done it looks so real you should be really pleased with yourself

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it Derek!! ITs so exciting to see it !! When hot gluing keep a bowl of cold water handy and you can stick your burnt fingers in it ..I think I saw some special hot glue gloves to wear when hot gluing! lol I always burn myself the cold water helps alot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Derek, when I thought you wouldn't do something to top what you've already done, regarding your dedication to this amazing project, you've proven me wrong. You must L-O-V-E Evy! I really do enjoy your progress on this labor of love and really wish I could totally visit your home (meet your hubby of course)and see this peice of work in person! Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete