Monday, May 14, 2012

Boring Hard Part is Finished!

I finished the boring hard part of Evangeline's attic yesterday.  I assembled the right half, sanded the roof pieces, gave everything a light coat of the spray paint I will use on the floor, wall, and ceiling boards and then put it all together.  Here is a pic of the finished shell, with Evangeline to demonstrate scale.  Keep in mind that this is just the shell and the every visible surface will be covered with balsa planks to give it an authentic look.


There was a brilliant stroke of luck in this last stage that I could not have replicated on purpose if I had spent hours trying.  I accidently nailed one of the left side roof piece on the wrong way which made it half an inch too long lengthwise.  I then needed to trim the right side roof piece by half an inch.  This meant that the left side's roof piece would be resting on the right side's back wall by half an inch.  They fit together like interlocking pieces of a puzzle and gave added stability.  Here is a close up of the joint in the center when the two back walls and the two roof pieces all come together:

The support beam in the center which is actually a 99 cent piece of deck railing from Lowe's is mounted square in the front left corner of the right piece of the floor but with the measurement adjustment on the roof piece it means that the left side roof piece sits on top of it by 1/2 an inch, again, adding stability and leveling everything off.  I can hardly believe my luck on this one.  Here is a close-up of where the two roof pieces rest on the support beam:

Again, the paint looks messy but it's just an undercoat to guarantee that no plain wood will show through on the finished product.  Now I am ready to start the fun part!  I love doing the floors, ceilings, and walls.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Derek, thanks for the scale pic! That attic is HUGE! This is going to look amazing! Keep up the amazing work. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek it is going to be fabulous the scale is perfect for her the hard part is done I can feel your excitement now is the beginning of creativity, can't wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete