Saturday, October 27, 2012

Project: Turning a Chair into a Vanity Bench

Here's a short little entry.  I have a 1:3 scale Bespaq Swan Vanity that really needs a vanity stool.  It's in the mahogany finish and I happen to have a Victorian side chair that I won cheaply because the upper part of the back of the chair had split.  The piece looked like this  when I started:


You can't tell from the picture that the chair was damaged but it was, right at the very top where the delicate woodwork is.  So, I got out my hand saw....


and I turned it into a stool.  In the pic above I added two round wooden beads to the area where I cut the frame.  The beads are in the same mahogany finish and are from a very damaged 1:3 rocking chair that I bought for it's parts.  Some men keep broken-down chevys on cinder blocks on the front lawn for parts, and some men keep broken Bespaq doll furniture for parts, to each his own.

I like the wooden beads, but I also tried out two brass knobs that I saved from a jewelry box that I had turned into an armoire:


Before I glue them down, I need to sand the area a bit so they are level, and touch it up a bit with a wood-stain marker, but I haven't decided which I like better.  Here's what the stool will look like from behind, remember, I still need to sand the point of contact down so the beads or knobs are attached correctly.  Wooden bead on the left, brass knob on the right:



I'd like some opinions if you care to offer them.  Brass knobs, or mahogany beads?  Life is full of tough choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment